Internship Abroad

There are many different options for a stay abroad. Spending a period of study at one of our international partner universities is one of them. Another one is completing an internship abroad. Do you want to know more? On this page, you can find information on how to obtain financial support for your internship and what internships are currently available.

For comprehensive information on the different foundations and programs, please refer to the International Office’s website. The following text gives you a general overview of what to keep in mind when planning an internship during your law studies. It also provides a list and a brief description of the best-known foundations and programs.

General information

You may go abroad for the mandatory internship in phase one of the integrated program in Law (LL.B.) or for gaining the practical experience required for the first state examination in Law (Staatsprüfung zur Ersten juristischen Prüfung). It is possible to intern with any institution that provides supervision by a lawyer and that gives students insights into how it applies the law.

You need to complete the four-week mandatory internship or the period to gain practical experience during the semester break of your program.

The applicable resolution by the examination committee for the integrated program in Law (LL.B.) is included with the information on internships on the program website. On this website, you can also access the information sheet on the period to gain practical experience that was issued by the state examination office of Baden-Württemberg responsible for the state examinations in law (LPJA).


The ERASMUS program offers financial support either for an internship abroad or for the combination of an internship and a period of study abroad.

Please have a look at the website of the international office to find more information on financial support during internships.

The minimum duration of the internship is three months or, if you are a graduate, two months. You are very likely to receive financial support, meaning that every application that has been correctly filled out and submitted is accepted as long as sufficient funds are available.

Financial support from the two programs is not awarded by the University of Mannheim itself. Instead, it is awarded by the liaison office for integrated traineeships for Baden-Württemberg at the Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences. The entire application process is therefore handled by the liaison office.

Please go to for comprehensive information on the programs and the funding criteria, as well as for access to the online registration and the application forms.

In case you want to complete the combined internship and period of study abroad, the internship must begin no later than two weeks after the ERASMUS semester has ended, it must last less than three months, and it must be completed in the same country. Financial support that is granted by the ERASMUS program (i.e., financial support for both the study visit and the internship taken together) may only be paid for up to twelve months in total. The International Office sends out relevant information on how to apply directly to the Erasmus students of the eligible cohort. A copy of the internship agreement must be submitted with the application.

German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)

The German Academic Exchange Service offers different programs and scholarships to financially support students who want to intern abroad. You can find a list of these by using the search on the DAAD’s website.

Examples of funding programs for internships abroad offered by the DAAD are:

  • The “Carlo Schmid” program for internships in international organizations and EU institutions
  • The “Russland in der Praxis” program which grants scholarships for internships in Russia (six weeks to six months)

BAföG for stays abroad

You can apply for governmental funding of an internship abroad according to the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG), if the internship is mandatory, governed by the examination regulations, and has a minimum duration of twelve months. Further information on BAföG for stays abroad is provided here.

Student loan (Bildungskredit)

In 2001, the federal government launched the student loan program, which gives students the opportunity to apply for a low-interest student loan with the KfW to complete a period of study or an internship abroad. Further information is provided here.

Other funding programs

The Haniel Foundation provides different funding options for internships abroad that are combined with a period of study abroad. Further information is provided here.

The Franco-German Youth Office (FGYO) supports students who want to complete an internship during their studies; the minimum duration must be four weeks. Students from any program of study can apply for the scholarships as soon as they have reached their second subject-specific semester. The higher education institution needs to recognize the internship as part of the program of study. Further information is provided here.

The Heinz Nixdorf Program supports German students and professionals aspiring to become the next generation of executives who want to complete an internship in the Asia-Pacific area. The total duration of the program is ten months, including preparation, language courses, and seminars. You yourself are responsible for finding a suitable vacancy. Further information on the program as well as the online application forms are provided here.


International Office

International Office

Executive Secretary – Stephanie Illbruck
University of Mannheim
Division II – Student Affairs
L 1, 1 (1. OG)
68161 Mannheim
Consultation hour(s):
Mo 9–12 Uhr, Mi 14–17 Uhr (jeweils offene Sprechstunde)